Saturday, November 22, 2014

Week 12: The Multiple Definitions of "Grind"

According to dictionary reference.com the verb to “grind” is defined in a number of different ways. One of which is “to wear, smooth, or sharpen by abrasion or friction.” After my almost two week "sabbatical" I have decided to embody the essence of this quote and use it as my guiding principle this week. Maybe everyone out there who describe themselves as “grinders” are already applying this mindset to their DFS games every week but it’s interesting to think about this definition when it comes to picking fantasy teams.

Every week we’re faced with a rocky surface of options all of which have a number of outcomes. It’s like a boat attempting to dock on a jagged coastline while the waves are crashing and the winds are howling. There’s a couple of thousand other boats attempting to do the same thing as well, except they want to do it better than you and possibly take you out in the process. It’s a lot of pressure. Sure you could take a shot and aim for what looks like a safe place to land. You didn’t actually plan this scenario out before but the water looks calmer there and everyone else seems to be aiming for that spot so what could go wrong?

Rocks. That’s what could go wrong. Big, giant, boat destroying rocks forged over millions of years just lying in wait for your stupid ass to attempt to dock your expensive boat right on their house.  Now if you had done your due diligence and scouted the area in the days before this strange thousand boat race you’ve entered you would have known about this dangerous landing spot and avoided it completely. But you didn’t and now your dead.

That boat is your fantasy team this week unless you put in the hours of work beforehand. That race for a landing spot with thousands of other boats and howling winds is you at 12.30 am on Sunday as you frantically cobble together line-ups while being simultaneously distracted by the artistic beauty of alsmizzle’s beard on the last rotogrinders live segment before the line up lock and those rocks are god damn LeSean McCoy. I actually like LeSean McCoy this week (I’m pretty sure every FF expert has said this every week since the beginning of time) but I just refuse to watch him scrabble from side to side behind his O-line again this week as he destroys another one of my teams. 

The point is that this week I’ve been all about decreasing the possibility of having to chuck teams together last minute (wear or smooth a surface) by methodically going through each game (by abrasion and friction, that’s how I envisage my brain cells working, I may or may not be a certified medical doctor). In saying that I’m not ruling out making some crazy last minute line-ups as truth be told I love that last minute rush before the 1pm lock. This definitely isn’t a way to be profitable long term mind you but hey, it’s fun!

So I feel pretty confident in my research this week, as confident as we can be what with the 20 feet of snow in Buffalo, or whatever they’re reporting at the moment, and the numerous injuries. At this point in the week I’m just about ready to utilize the next definition of “grind”, that is “to reduce to fine particles, as by pounding or crushing.”

With all respect to NFL players I’m describing them as particles here.  As I’ve done the past few weeks I picked a team first thing Tuesday Morning without research and entered it into a large field GPP. Below are the changes I’ve decided to make to that team as a result of the “grind”.  One more thing before I get to the team, another definition of “grind” is “to oppress, torment, or crush”. This one needs no explanation.

Quarterback

Josh McCown $6,600 – Josh McCown $6,600

I had a list of three QB’s I was targeting, the other two being Cutler and Kaepernick, but in the end I stayed with McCown. Also as you’ll see from my RB & WR’s picks I think I’ve found quite a bit of value this week so when I went back to the QB spot I could have upgraded to someone like Rodgers but I decided to use that extra money elsewhere. Chicago gives up on average the second most points to opposing QB’s in the league coming in just behind the Jets. They also grade out as the seventh worst pass coverage unit according to PFF. I wanted to have some shares in the unstoppable Mike Evans but I hate buying high on a player after a huge week never mind after three huge weeks and subsequent price increases. I remember writing this blog all the way back in week 6 when the Bears were playing the Falcons in Atlanta. I was so thoroughly convinced that the game would be a shoot out it and the Falcons would have to air it out to keep up with the high flying Bears offense that I put Matt Ryan and Julio in almost every team. That was an error. So a word of warning here as this pick is predicated on the fact that I see this as a high scoring game with fantasy goodness on both sides but this is the NFL, nobody knows anything.

Running Backs

DeMarco Murray $8,500 – DeMarco Murray $8,500

It seems rather pointless to continue after the nihilistic end to the last paragraph but let’s forge on anyway and discuss why I’ve decided to stick with the No.1 RB in football who’s chasing the all time rushing record and going up against a team that gives up the most fantasy points and the fourth most rushing yards to opposing RB’s. Yeah, not exactly a shocker here but there is plenty of value just below Murray’s price point so I’m paying up as a way of getting off the possibly higher owned guys. I’m sure Forte will have a huge game as well but he’s nearly $1,000 more expensive and I’m not even expecting Murray to return 4x his price so Forte was just a stretch too far. Rashad Jennings was the other player I considered here but like all slightly lower priced players that involves an element of risk. He’s just back from an injury but more worrying than that, if the Giants continue to turn the ball over so frequently they’re going to find themselves down pretty quick in this game which could mean a smaller workload for Jennings. I like Jennings but I think Murray is a lock for 20+ carries and 4+ catches and as you will see I have a lot of risk at the WR spot so Murray is the granite based cornerstone of my team.

Tre Mason $4,200 – Isaiah Crowell $3,800

There’s an element of risk in both of these players in terms of playing time and obviously I’d swap Terrance West in for Crowell if it looks like he’ll get the start this week but as of right now Crowell is on pace to get the majority of the carries. At his price, he’s likely to be one of the highest owned players this week. That sentence is generally framed in a negative context but sometimes I find myself relieved when I hear that, as in, ‘Well if he messes up or gets injured, I’ll be in the same boat as everybody else’. The idea of living or dying with the masses is certainly preferential to fading a cheap player due to the possibility of high ownerships % and watching him go off for a monster score. This is the exact approach that almost guarantee’s I’ll never take down a large GPP but…..I have no ‘but’ here actually. That’s just the way it is so I’ll finish this paragraph with some stats about Crowell’s matchup this week. Atlanta give up the most fantasy points to opposing RB’s, Josh Gordon is back this week which should spread the field a little more and he’s only $3,800. If he rushes for 80 yards and a TD with one or two catches out of the backfield, he’s more than worth the money. One last thing, Mason and Crowell are 17th and 18th in fantasypros.com rankings this week so I have them both in a few line-ups.

Wide Receiver

Josh Gordon $6,300 – Torrey Smith $5,400

I can’t decide what to do with Josh Gordon this week. I’ve stashed him on my fantasy team since about week 2 and that all becomes rather pointless unless I play him in this spot. That feeling along with the over the top media coverage made me think he was a lock earlier in the week. Now I’m not so sure. He hasn’t played since August 23rd. In the other type of football (soccer that is) you always hear pundits talk about how players coming back from injuries need a few games to get into ‘match fitness’. Surely that also applies to the NFL? Wasn’t he selling cars and not allowed to practice with the team? I honestly don’t know what to do with him, reports are that he’s looked great in practice and the Browns desperately need an explosive WR so he could have a huge game against the incredibly mediocre Houston secondary. On the other hand, he might struggle to keep up with the pace of the game and be a complete non-factor. So I went with Smith instead. I haven’t rostered Torrey Smith at all this year but I’m looking to exploit a poor New Orleans secondary and the second highest over under of the week. Obviously other people will do the same but I’m hoping the majority of people will opt for the cheaper of the Smith’s who is also getting more targets and will probably avoid the Saints top CB in Keenan Allen.  Torrey has big play ability and Flacco has attempted an average of 35 passes in his last three games so there should be plenty of opportunities in what is projected to be a high scoring game.

Vincent Jackson $5,200 – Allen Hurns $3,200

I tried this Vincent Jackson play last week and it was a resounding failure. I think there’s merit to it again this week but I don’t feel confident enough to roster both McCown and Jackson in the same team. He’s clearly not the No.1 WR in this offense anymore so even though the Bears secondary is eminently beatable, they’re still the Bucs. I’m not having almost a quarter of my team being held hostage to the possibility of another apocalyptic meltdown.  Hurns is, along with my next wide receiver pick, a bargain basement play who is in line to get more targets this week due to a teammate’s injury. Allen Robinson is done for the year so Hurns should see an uptick in playing time. This pick could easily blow up in my face of course as Hurns will probably be covered by PFF’s No.2 ranked CB Vontae Davis and I fully expect him to have maybe one reception for 9 yards coming into the fourth quarter but I have two words for you my friends, garbage and time. I see the Colts laying the smack down on the Jags here (that’s why I’m not touching Denard Robinson this week) and Bortles throwing it all over the place during the fourth. Hurns should take on Robinson’s big playmaking role so I’m hoping the Colts take Davis out early and Bortles can connect with Hurns on a couple of deep balls for a nice ROI.

Kenny Stills $4,200 – Kenny Stills $4,200

This pick follows the same thought process as the Hurns one, for Robinson read Brandin Cooks. The Saints offense is generally a bit of a crapshoot in terms of figuring out who’s going to get the majority of the targets outside of Graham but with Cooks out for the season you’ve got more of a shot of picking the WR who is going to go off on a given day.  The Ravens have a fantastic pass rush but with top corner Jimmy Smith also out for the year they have a secondary that is exploitable. From the WR’s left with Cooks out, Stills has more big play ability than Colston. They’re each $4,200 this week so I didn’t have to think too hard about this one as evidenced by the fact I picked him in my early week team and left him in there.  A note of caution here, or maybe even a disclaimer, all these picks could blow up in my face so if you feel like rostering Steve Smith Sr, Cecil Shorts and Marques Colston go right ahead.

Tight End

Rob Gronkowski $7,900 – Rob Gronkowski $7,900

As JMToWin pointed out in his always excellent piece there are some great cheap TE options this week in the form of Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Martellus Bennett. But if you think I seriously considered rostering McCown, Jackson and ASJ on the same team than just stop reading this right now because your thoughts hurt me and I don’t need that in my safe space. Bennett is an option and both teams are certainly week to opposing TE’s but similar to the Bucs I couldn’t force myself to have that much exposure to this Bears team (see flex position). There’s an alternate universe where I’ve rostered Cutler, Jackson, Marshall, Evans, Bennett and ASJ in the same team but that’s not a reality I’m ready for yet. Luckily I’ve managed to waffle on about the Bucs Bears game (I’m really starting to talk myself into that game now) for so long as there’s really nothing much to say about Gronk at this stage. I still think he’s worth the price. He easily offers the highest floor at the TE position which has been a veritable black hole this year in terms of consistency. I imagine he’ll be in every line up of mine this week.

Flex

Larry Donnell $3,900 - Brandon Marshall $ 7,100

I don’t know why I went for Donnell here, I guess it’s due to the fact that the Cowboys are pretty weak at defending the TE position but obviously with the way the rest of this line up shaped up I moved away from him here. Now that I think of it, does everyone else construct these teams in the same way as I do? I plug in the players I like and then fill out the positions around them always leaving the flex position until last. Except for the odd time that I might go with two TE’s. So generally my flex choice is usually dictated by how much money I have left. That’s probably not the smartest strategy. I can see seasoned DFS’ers guffawing at me now but that’s how I approach life. I like to leave treats for myself. I eat deserts intentionally slow so that when everyone else is finished I’m still enjoying my delicious crème brulee. I like to look for bargains where I can find them and then revel in the delight of being able to get a stud player at the flex spot. Like a child who can have his pick of any candy he wants. My candy this week is Marshall. I’ve spoken about this game a lot already so there’s not much more to say. If you can pick who’s going to have the bigger game out of Marshall and Jeffery than you’re a better man than I but I remember hearing that, probably bullshit, narrative of Cutler and Marshall having a great connection going back years so when their prices are almost identical I’ll take Marshall. For what it’s worth the Bucs have the 6th worst pass coverage unit per PFF grading out just one spot lower than the Bears.

Defense

Colts $3,200 – 49ers $3,100

I’ve already used the ‘there’s nothing to say about defense’ technique to fill out this space in previous weeks so I don’t know where I go from here. Perhaps leave it out altogether in the coming weeks? Maybe. As an example, the Chiefs were the No.1 ranked team for this week according to fantasypros and they scored an earth shattering three points. Both of these D’s are in play this week, I went with the 49ers here as they are at home and the Jags have that garbage time potential I mentioned earlier but really I often think it’s good to pay low on defense and use that money elsewhere.  As an example, the Bucs were $2,700 and they scored 22 DK points last week.


That’s it for this week. This post got a little out of hand but I did warn you, I’ve spent hours going over DFS stuff so much so that I feel as if I have another 3,000 word post in me. One final cautionary note, another definition of “grind” is “to annoy; irritate; irk”. This particular definition is something we’d all rather avoid this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment