Saturday, November 22, 2014

Week 10 I hardly knew you, Week 11 you were a fleeting dalliance, Week 12 you will be mine

I wrote this post last Friday the 14th but never found the time to edit and post it for reasons which should become clear below. I thought there was no harm in putting it up today as we all start to prepare for week 12.

I didn’t manage to write a single blog post last week which was disappointing seeing as I had set a goal of between two or three articles a week. I managed to hit that target with relative ease over the preceding weeks and if anything it should have been getting easier to churn out posts as the weeks have gone by. I make DFS teams every week, watch as much NFL as possible and I love thinking, talking and writing about it so there’s no excuse really, outside of laziness and lack of motivation. Laziness and lack of motivation, the bane of any writer’s existence. I don’t particularly want to accept this and acknowledge my failure so it’s time to pull out the excuses.

My family were visiting from Ireland. What’s that? Not a valid excuse you say, I could have found some time outside of shepherding my parents around the sights and sounds of New England and sampling the local cuisines, you think. Ok well try this one on for size. I got married last weekend. Ah the sweet silence of my imaginary heckler. Yes I took the plunge and pledged my allegiance to a woman. It may not be as exciting as a NFL contract what with the lack of guaranteed money and an expiry date but I’m hoping it doesn’t end in my agent failing to reach an agreement in a couple of years and my new wife pouring through my vows looking for a way to recoup some of that lost money. That’s a scary sentence to write less than one week into a marriage.

Anyway I’ve told my -girlfriend-, -fiancĂ©e-, wife I’m writing something about our big day this week and so there’s a distinct possibility she might end up on what she considers to be the enemy territory of rotogrinders to read this thing. That may or may not be the reason I’m now going to tell you that it was a truly wonderful day and we couldn’t be happier. I’d recommend it to anyone, what with the opportunity to wear an expensive suit and drink champagne at 11 in the morning. Finding someone to tolerate your gambling/DFS habit might not be as easy but worry about that after the fact. (I was going to write something about posting some wedding photos on my twitter if people wanted to see them in a shameless attempt to garner some twitter followers then I realized how pathetic that sounded so look, just follow me on twitter will you, I want to start talking DFS with people, @stephengaffney)

I managed to roll some teams out last week without even a hint of research besides reading one or two articles on rotogrinders. The results were what you would have expected. I went with the mostly chalk plays and managed to cash some minimum GPP’s due to Benjamin’s garbage time TD’s. The pre wedding build up is a legitimate excuse for last week’s lack of research and posts, but the post wedding activities have also taken up a lot of my time and I subsequently find myself furiously trying to piece this thing together early on Friday morning.  With that being said, I’m doing it while sitting in a wood cabin in New Hampshire gazing out at the first snow of the year so I can’t necessarily complain. The post wedding activities do have their advantages.

Following on from the theme of the last week I’ve decided to pick my DFS team for week 11 through the guiding principle of love. I know all this ‘love’ talk is getting a bit heavy handed at this stage but bear with me.  One of the best writer’s on this site, JMToWin, always talks about going through every player each week and finding a reason to either play them or leave them out entirely. This is excellent advice and you should do what he says, but with all respect to JMToWin, I am completely ignoring it this week.  As I’ve mentioned, these past few days have been busy, hell I barely even got to watch any football on Sunday, but I’m not letting another week go by without writing something and putting in some half decent teams. I don’t feel like I have enough time to research and include or discount every player and so like a lovesick teenager, I’m letting myself fall in love this week.

As any of you who have read my posts in the last few weeks will know, I have been building a, let’s call it, ‘gut instinct’ team early in the week and then expanding on those picks later in the week through research and what not. Well this week I’m doing the slightly upgraded version of the early week plan. I’m finding one thing I like about a player and sticking with him. I know some players employ this strategy almost every week and I can certainly see the merit in it but after that week where everybody and his mother had Rashad Jennings and he got injured against Atlanta I got scared off anchoring all my teams around a couple of players. There is just too much randomness and potential injury every week to do that, or else I don’t have the balls, who knows. I was going to make a joke about not having the balls being linked to getting married but maybe that means I have more balls? I don’t know. Answers from the married folk in the comments below would be appreciated.

Anyway, I’m getting off track. This is a DFS website after all, not a recently married men helpline. I entered the team below in a large GPP on DraftKings on the basis of one thing I liked about their matchup this week and for the sake of clarity I’m just going to give the one reason I based my decision on.

Quarterback

Aaron Rodgers 

He’s Aaron Rodgers. He throw 6 touchdown’s last week and his price hasn’t gone up. They could have priced him around 11k and I think I would have found room for him.

Running Backs

Le’Veon Bell

He’s underpriced this week and offers the best value out of the top RB’s.

Jeremy Hill

It was him or CJ Anderson and I went with Hill as he’s slightly cheaper and will probably be under owned after the disaster of last week. Speaking of that atrocity, I’m discounting it completely. Just one of those crazy games where everything goes wrong. The Bengals aren’t that bad.

Wide Receivers

Keenan Allen

Targets. That’s why I’m playing Keenan Allen this week. He’s also reasonably priced and coming off a bye week so he might get slightly forgotten about.  Playing any Chargers receivers is a shot in the dark though so I could easily have put Malcolm Floyd in here as well.

Kelvin Benjamin


Vincent Jackson

See that blank space above. That’s not a typo or the staff at rotogrinders censoring some fascist statement I’ve made, that’s the amount of space I deem necessary to explain my reasons for starting Benjamin this week.  If in doubt ask yourself because despite those drops, you know you have him somewhere this week. As for Jackson, I want to target the Washington secondary and fade Mike Evans.

Tight End

Jimmy Graham

Clearly it’s Graham or Gronk this week.  I went with Graham. I don’t feel good about it but the reason I feel in ‘love’ with him, and I use that it its loosest form, is the price differential and the fact that more people will be on Gronk.

Flex

Davante Adams

Aaron Rodgers. That’s my one reason. I think Adams will grab one of those sweet passes from No.12 and get in for a TD. A couple more receptions and he should offer a nice ROI.

Defense

Broncos

Ok this is where my shaky pretense falls apart. I don’t love the Broncos but I like them, and sometimes that’s enough.  You might not be in the market for love, you might want a casual acquaintance who provides just a whiff of romance. That’s the Denver Broncos this week.  Take them out, buy them a drink or two, don’t splash out on the expensive restaurant yet, and see how you feel after.

To put a bow on the theme this week I also generously let my new wife select a team.  This was done with lots of cute smiles and chuckles as I tried not to be a patronizing jerk like you often see women treated in anything sporting related but let’s be honest here, if her team beats mine it would be nothing short of an unmitigated disaster. If that happens I might pull an ‘Into The Wild’ and walk into the woods never to be heard of again. I’m only kind of kidding.


For those of you wondering, my team comfortably beat my new life partner's one. All is right with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment