Saturday, November 22, 2014

Week 9 Draft Kings GPP Line-up

Earlier in the week I wrote about hope and more specifically the hope that stems from playing DFS. I talked about how hope can be a double edged sword, providing you with a sense of purpose throughout the week and filling your head with aspirational dreams of hitting it big, while also turning into frustration and disappointment on Sunday even if you have had a financially successful week. Well, ‘hope’ in its early week incarnation has not failed to disappoint. Like a disorientated traveller trudging through a hot desert who has been tricked by mirage after mirage, I see a beautiful, luscious oasis on the horizon and I fully believe it to be filled with cooling water. To put that in less flowery terms, I think the team below will win something this week. The use of the word ‘something’ here is crucial.

My early week ‘hope’ has followed a well-worn route and transformed itself into excitement. This happens every week around the time of the Thursday night game. It reaches its calming centre on Friday afternoon and its giddy height on Saturday evening. I get too anxious/nervous on Sunday morning. The plan this week is to avoid setting expectations too high and turning into an irritable buffoon who begins cursing players and throwing things around the room come Sunday afternoon. This week I shall be Zen like and let the chips fall where they may. Or at least I shall try, that’s all I can promise.

And it’s a shaky promise at best as I’m feeling quietly confident about this bunch of players. If you haven’t already you’re probably on the verge of just scrolling down to see who I picked as I’m treating this selection like an explorer who has just found the lost treasure of Sierra Madre but bare with me.  I mentioned a few weeks ago about how I had noticed a small trend with line-ups that took down huge GPP’s. That trend was using legitimate stud players coming off an injury. The team that won the first millionaire maker had Arian Foster coming off an injury and with 0.6% ownership. He had had a disappointing day against the Bills, rushing for just 6 yards and there was wide spread concern about his dodgy hamstring. Nobody (well I guess 0.6% of people to be precise) started him and he racked up 34.2 points on Draft Kings.

That team also had Ben Tate. He only accumulated 16.2 points against the Titans but again, his ownership was at 0.7% as he had been hurt in week 1, missed two weeks due to injury and was then on a bye. His point total wasn’t huge but when 93.7% of the teams you’re up against aren’t getting those points you've a got a nice edge. The interesting thing about these two is that neither of them were particularly cheap. Foster was $7,400 and had only dropped by $100 from the previous week. Up until his crazy price inflation this week Foster’s price has always been in and around the 7k to 8k range so he wasn’t too much of a perceived ‘value’ play that week. This applies even more so to Tate. His price that week was $5,000. His price this week is $4,600. He wasn’t a ‘he’s so cheap, I’ll just chuck him in and hope for the best play’, there were plenty of other options that week.

This is the thought process I’ve tried to apply to my team this week. I’ve made mistakes in previous weeks by thinking I’m picking contrarian players when in fact they’ve been relatively obvious. Obvious in the form of if everyone is zigging this week I’m going to zag and pick a stud player that had an average outing last week and their price has dropped accordingly. Everyone is picking that player. I think the real contrarian plays are somewhere in the middle.  They are the players that are coming off poor performances or dealing with injury or just facing a tough match up but their price hasn’t dropped significantly. If those players also happen to be ones I think are going to have big games, then we’re in business.

As I’ve done the last few weeks I picked a team earlier in the week based purely on my gut feeling with zero research. These are the changes I’ve made to that team by the end of the week.

Quarterback

Colin Kaepernick $7,000 – Tony Romo $7,500

This is the first of my ‘picking injured/underperforming high priced players’. As of Friday evening Romo is ‘very questionable’ according to Cowboys VP Stephen Jones. For the theme this week, that’s perfect. Nobody is going to want a piece of Romo in this spot.  If he plays I imagine the coaching staff are going to want to limit his time spent running around outside of the pocket and will look to get the ball away quickly, a thought process that leads me to my pick at WR.  On nfl.com the Cardinals rank last in points given up to WR’s and first in points surrendered to RB’s. I know it’s Demarco Murray but that makes me think the Cowboys are going to have to throw the ball quite a bit to get the win. And if Weeden starts? Lovely, I’ll roster him and use the salary saving elsewhere. In fact, maybe I won’t. I feel so confident about this team I might enter it with $2,500 left on the table.

Running Backs

Jamaal Charles $7,100 – Andre Ellington $5,900

I finally found a way to get off Charles. I still like him but there are some decent, cheaper alternatives. Andre Ellington being one, if not the best of them. Evan Silva mentioned in his preview piece on Rotoworld that all of Arizona’s other RB’s are either suspended or injured leaving only practice squadder Marion Grice as a threat to Ellington’s touches. Not much of a threat I think you’ll agree. The Cowboys are also susceptible to the run, giving up an appealing 5.24 YPC. Add to that Ellington’s threat as a pass catcher, he’s almost a must start in every game of mine on DK. He’s only behind my next pick.

LeSean McCoy $5,200 – LeSean McCoy $5,200

Ah LeSean. McCoy was my highest priced pick in the auction draft for my most important fantasy team. Needless to say, McCoy has been on the end of almost weekly verbal assaults from me. But that team is 2-6 and going down quicker than the Titantic so I’m giving him a chance to make it up to me this weekend.  Jason Kelce finally looks he’s going to play this week which bring the offensive line almost back to full strength after RT Lane Johnson came back two weeks ago. Since the bye week McCoy has averaged 6.8 and 4.0 YPC and was unlucky not to make it into the end zone last week, getting stuffed at the goal line. It shouldn’t be too much of an ask for McCoy to get 100 yards rushing, catch 2 or 3 passes out of the backfield and if he can score a TD, we’ll be golden.

Wide Receivers

DeSean Jackson $6,000 – Dez Bryant $8,200

Here’s another of the ‘potential problem, most people will stay away’ pick. Of course it’s all to do with Romo as Dez is a fantasy stud. I just found myself automatically ruling out Bryant early in the week due to the question marks around the QB. I think most people will be of the same mindset and it’s an undoubted risk as he’s the 3rd most expensive WR on DK this week. People will take Hilton for $100 less or Maclin at a $500 discount.  But that’s exactly what we want. The Cardinals are weak in the secondary with former lock down corner Patrick Peterson grading out at -4.8 and the 23rd worst CB in the league per PFF. Interestingly, Bryant gets a grade of 5.3 and is ranked as the 9th best WR. That’s math I like to do. 

Odell Beckham Jr. $5,000 – A.J Green $6,300

After my intro you could probably guess this pick was coming. Again, my initial thought when scanning through the list of WR’s was ‘nope, too risky’.  Green is a top notch player but he’s been out since week 5. People pick players they see filling the highlight reels on Sports Centre. Not that I see the Bengals struggling to win this game but the Jags have been pretty decent against the run and equally as weak against the pass. Dalton will air it out and Green assured the media (make of that what you will) that if he’s out there he won’t be playing the part of a decoy. He’s the ultimate boom or bust play this week. Or else he’ll catch 5 passes for 70 yards in which case he’ll be a beacon of mediocrity, which could also happen.

Mike Evans $4,700 – Jermaine Kearse $3,100

You know earlier I said that if Weeden started I wouldn’t even use the left over salary? I’d like that sentence back if that’s ok with you. I’d probably use it to upgrade here. I was pretty definite about the 2 RB’s and 2 WR’s I wanted on this team and once I slotted in Romo I decided I wanted a high price player as a flex play, which meant bargain basement play at the 3rd WR spot.  The O/U for this game is 43 and the Seahawks are favored by 15 which means Vegas is projecting Seattle to score 28 points. One or two for Marshawn (see below), one for Russ and my boy Jermaine will grab the other one! Per Evan Silva’s Rotoworld piece Kearse has been on the field for 93% of Seattle’s offensive snaps since Harvin left and he’s the WR 2 on a team that will surely be busting a gut to lay the smack down on the unfortunate Raiders. I think he has a good shot to grab a TD and a couple of receptions.

Tight End

Julius Thomas $5,600 – Larry Donnell $4,600

Gronk is the obvious play here and even with his high price I see him having a high ownership percentage this week. Thomas always has a shot to grab a TD but I’m moving away from him here. I seem to get burned by TE’s almost every week and Donnell has often been the pyromaniac behind many of the fires but I’m rolling with him this week.  He’s tied for second with Beckham Jr. in targets since Cruz went down against Philadelphia and the hope here is that the Giants spent the off week scheming to get Donnell more involved, especially in the end zone. The Colts have allowed the 6th most fantasy points and 4th most yards to opposing TE’s. I think Jordan Reed, Clay Harbor and Travis Kelce are all in play here but I’m going with Donnell for two reasons. One, I think they’re going to need to air it out in order to keep up with Andrew Luck which means he should get a healthy amount of targets and two, it’s always nice to have somebody in play for a possible Monday night sweat.

Flex

Andre Ellington $5,900 – Marshawn Lynch $6,100

Obviously I have Ellington in the No.1 RB spot so this isn’t a direct replacement. I haven’t been a fan of Lynch this year and have faded him most weeks. There were just too many warning signs coming into this season and this slump he’s in right now seemed inevitable to me. In saying that, he fits in perfectly here. He’s been a complete dud over the last three weeks with DK scores of 7.2, 9.1 and 7.4 while averaging just 14 carries a game over that same three week period. The Seahawks lost 2 out of those 3 games. They’re back in Seattle now where their home fans last saw them lose to Dallas. If Marshawn still has it, this is where he’ll show it. The Raiders have given up the third most fantasy points to opposing RB’s and there’s other stats out there that prove the Raiders are pretty terrible if you’d care to look them up. I’ll be shocked if Lynch doesn’t get at least 1 TD.

Defense

Cincinnati Bengals $3,300 – Minnesota Vikings $3,000

The Bengals, Chiefs and Seahawks all look far more appealing on paper and they’ll probably score more than the Vikings but you can just never tell with defense. RG3 is back, he might be rusty, he might be out of sync with the offense, I smell a pick or two here with a couple of fumbles thrown in for good measure. I wouldn’t blame you for paying up this week as there isn’t even much salary saving here but I think those 3 teams will be highly owned and I’d rather roll with a lower owned team this week.

Unlike the kind and generous JMToWin, if any of you win using this team I’m going to need you to give me 51% of your winnings. And I will check every.single.winning.lineup on every.single.site.

Just kidding, feel free to use and lose away! Thanks for reading and feel free to leave thoughts/comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment