Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Week 8 round up: Jordy Nelson stole my $1,000,000.

Hope. That’s what playing DFS every week gives me. The hope of this being the week you nail the line up to take down a large GPP. The hope of being the absolute best at something if even for one week. The hope of beating out thousands of other people. The hope of winning life changing money and donating it all to a charity…..ok that’s a stretch.

I know using ‘hope’ in such a grandiose fashion when discussing fantasy football is a little extreme so I want to reassure you that I do have a life outside of playing fantasy sports and I’m not depending on it to provide meaning in my life. However, from Tuesday’s opaque dreams of hitting it big at the weekend through to the excitement of building last minute teams on Sunday morning my week is filled with varying degrees of hope that all rest on a bunch of men I’ve never met running around in various locations throughout the country.

It sounds crazy when written down and by its very nature fantasy football does not make rational sense. It is by definition a step into the world of fantasy but one where we feel we can control the outcome in some way. One where we have a set of expectations for a series events we absolutely cannot control. Those expectations usually manifest themselves in the form of hope, and hope is what nearly ruined a very profitable weekend for me.

First the positives. I placed in all of my cash games, destroyed my opponent in my first ever head to head game, scored an all time high 245.26 points in a GPP on Draft Kings for a 150th place finish and finished in the top 3,000 in the when-will-it-ever-end Millionaire Maker. Overall, a very nice weekend where I had plenty of Gronk and Maclin a smattering of Brady and Foster and one each of LaFell and T.Y Hilton.  What could possibly have gone wrong?

I dared to dream. I dared to ask the question, ‘what if’? That’s what went wrong. Over these past 8 weeks of football season I’ve often wondered what’s worse, to have no players left and watch as you slowly slip down the leader board or to watch those players in later games bomb out and not move up as much as you had hoped. I used to think it was the former but after this week I’m leaning towards the latter.

I entered a team into the millionaire maker that had two players in the early afternoon games and one player and my defense in the late.  Those three players were Arian Foster, Rob Gronkowski, Jeremy Maclin and the Cleveland Browns. The Dolphins were clearly the play of the day at defense and I had them in the majority of my teams but the Browns were the 5th highest scoring team of the week and a pretty decent play considering their price point.

Those other three however. They were the cornerstone, the rock, the granite and the cement of any GPP winning team. Things couldn’t have started much better. It seemed like you would have to have these three in your team to have a chance, and I did, I actually effing did! You can sense the level of enthusiasm I had on Sunday afternoon even as I write this on Tuesday in the shadow of a crushing disappointment.

I had 145.9 points from four picks. As the Steelers Colts game exploded in record breaking fashion that total didn’t like quite as good but this is where I had an ace in my pocket. I had a Rodgers, Nelson, Adams stack waiting in the wings to trump anything that had come earlier in the day. I also had Travaris Cadet at $3,000 who I thought was almost a sure thing to return value and possibly even bring one of those Brees screen passes to the house.

Needless to say I felt confident, in retrospect far too confident, and as the game went on and Nelson slowly scuppered my selfish dreams (seriously, I watched him at the line of scrimmage every time, he would run straight out of the picture, something would happen and then he’d reappear trotting off the field, you can’t tell me he didn’t just evaporate into the night sky every time, you have no proof) I realized I was not actually enjoying the game at all.

My hope had killed my enjoyment. I was not alone in expecting a big game from Jordy, he had a ridiculous 39.5% ownership in the millionaire maker, but I couldn’t take any solace in that. Michael Floyd’s big fat donut seemed to hurt even more people and I had him in quite a few line-ups but I couldn’t derive any comfort in that either. Cadet, Rodgers and even Adams, to a certain extent, all had in the range of decent to mediocre games but nothing could get me past the fact that Jordy Nelson had metaphorically given away my $1,000,000 to some other chump. This irrational annoyance might also be due to my seven team teaser that would have paid over $500 if Steve Smith’s OPI had not been called and the Ravens had covered but that’s an article for a gambler’s anonymous. So it was a weekend of mixed emotions, like most Sunday's during the football season but we must move forth and conquer and that means picking more teams for this week.

As I’ve been doing for the last few weeks, I picked a team this morning without doing any research based just on what I know already and my gut feeling at the time. I’ll do my normal research this week and see what changes I want to make as we get nearer to Sunday. For those keeping score at home, my researched team is now 2-0 and in a nod to ESPN’s naughty pupil, these are actual picks from my actual brain.

Quarterback


Colin Kaepernick $7,000

Jesus. Draft Kings have tightened up their salaries. That and the fact that so many teams are on a bye and two fantasy relevant QB’s are suiting up on Thursday made the QB pick pretty difficult. I originally chose Carson Palmer at $6,800 as he’s putting up consistent fantasy numbers but Kaep just has that higher upside we love so much when it comes to GPP’s. As I’ve found with so many of these early week picks, I don’t feel great about this one but with Luck at $10,000, Peyton at $9,800 and with the memory of Kaepernick torching the Rams for 32.42 points a few weeks ago I’m going with the 49ers QB at this stage.

Running Backs


Jamaal Charles $7,100

I’ve picked him every week I’ve been writing this blog. I think Foster is probably the best RB in the league at the moment, and that’s not to take anything away from Murray, but at $9,900 it’s just a bit too steep for me. Charles’ price has only gone up by $400 this week after the 27.7 points he put up on Sunday. Compared to some of the other price increases this week that’s a veritable steal. The Jets have a stout run defense but Charles is always good for a few catches in the backfield, picking up 4-44 yards against the Rams. He's back to being one of the top RB's in the league and possibly still a bit under the radar.

LeSean McCoy $5,200

When will we see this ‘big game’ that people seem to think is inevitable? Truth is I don’t actually think we’re going to see it this year but at this price you don’t need it. It seems like McCoy’s ceiling this year is about 20 fantasy points which would nearly be the 4x his salary we’re looking for in GPP’s. He hasn’t scored since week 2 and he’s averaging 22.3 carries and 3 catches a game over the last three weeks. If he keeps up those numbers he’s bound to hit the end zone this week. Lock him in.

 Wide Receivers


DeSean Jackson $6,000

Is DeSean Jackson the ultimate GPP WR out there? Take out week 1 and his scoring on Draft Kings over the past 7 weeks is as follows: 2.9, 25.7, 1.9, 29.7, 24.0, 7.9 and 22.6 last night. He’s a professional boom or bust play and right now he’s proving more boom that bust. Colt McCoy looked his way all night against the Cowboys and talked afterwards about how he’s impossible to overthrow. I think I might just play Jackson in every GPP for the rest of the season. He’s only gone up by $300 this week as well so he’s good value.

Odell Beckham Jr. $5,000

I picked this one purely on a gut feeling. I didn’t even look at his game log on Draft Kings. I just did. He’s gone up by $1,200. Damn. So my theory that Draft Kings somehow misses players coming off a bye goes up in flames.  I never like to pick players with such a huge increase in price but I’ve done it now so I’ll try to defend it. Beckham looks like the real deal. It’s a small sample size but in the one game against Philly, Beckham looked like he might become the new No.1 in the Giants offense with Cruz out. Randle got more of the targets but Eli looked for the rookie more often in the red zone. 

Mike Evans $4,700

Sometimes you pick players because of stats, sometimes it’s because in the game you watched that player just looked awesome, sometimes it’s a good matchup and other times you pick players because they looked unbelievably athletic jumping over the hood of a car in a TMZ video of a brawl outside a nightclub. That is why I’m picking Evans. Also he’s one of the few Bucs players that haven’t been involved in trade rumors lately so, ya know, that’s something.

Tight End


Julius Thomas $5,600

Julius Thomas has been driving me crazy. I wasn’t on him for most of the first 5 or 6 weeks. Then I decided that my strategy of fading the tight end wasn’t working out and so I’ve had him in a few line-ups the past few weeks.  That’s been going just great. This pick is based purely on the notion that Peyton likes to keep all his receivers happy. By that rational it should be Julius and Welker’s week this week. I won’t be buying any shares in Wes’s stock but Thomas is the cheapest he’s been all year. Gronk is not going to catch 3 T.D’s every week and he’s an insane $7,600 this week so Thomas makes it ahead of Gates and Allen here. 

Flex


Andre Ellington $5,900

I wanted a high up side receiver here similar to Jackson but this was my last position to fill and I was somewhat hamstrung by the remaining salary. As opposed to later in the week I try not to take any players out of this line-up and stick with my first instincts. Ellington is only averaging 3.6 yards a carry but he’s getting a bunch of carries and he’s basically a lock to catch 3 or 4 passes every game.  Those catches are crucial for point scoring on DK. His price has come down this week by $700 as well.

Defense


Cincinnati Bengals $3,300

I mean, were you expecting anything else? They’re at home against Jacksonville and Blake Bortles who just can’t stop throwing picks. The Dolphins served me pretty well in this spot last week and I’m gonna be riding the ‘whoever is playing Jacksonville’ train for a while longer.


That’s it. That’s my early team who seem destined to finish smack bang in the middle of some large GPP this weekend. Thanks for reading and feel free to leave any thoughts or comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment